Why have so many homeowners chosen vinyl siding rather than aluminum in recent years? The answer lies in its top three qualities: durability, low maintenance, and affordability.
By Laura Horwitz
December 31, 1969
Advantages of Vinyl Siding:
- A Durable Decision: The flexibility of vinyl means it can be easily molded and reshaped, if necessary, making it resistant to dents--unlike aluminum siding. It truly is long lasting.
- Low Maintenance: This is the easiest type of siding to clean, repair, and maintain. Since the color of vinyl goes all the way through the material, it does not fade and scratches barely show. Vinyl siding can also be replaced quickly and far more easily than aluminum.
- Flexibility: You can install vinyl siding over most smooth surfaces, including stucco, brick, and wood. And the same quality that make it resistant to dents make it easy to shape into any form required. However, you should be aware that you cannot install it over uneven surfaces.
- Energy saving: Adding an extra layer of insulation may help you save money on utility bills.
- Withstands any climate: Unlike some types of siding, you can install vinyl in any climate.
Since vinyl siding lasts for years, you save yourself money over time on replacement costs. The average national cost to replace 1,250 sq. ft. of vinyl siding is $7,239. The average return at resale, however, is $6,914. That's a 95.5% average return on your investment! And it's a far larger percentage of return than the majority of home improvement
Vinyl Color Options
You can select from a variety of colors and styles, including one that resembles wood to achieve that classic look without the extra expense and maintenance hassles. The wide selection of vinyl siding available and its many other advantages have made vinyl siding the most popular choice for siding in America today.
About the Author
Laura Horwitz has worked as a freelance writer and researcher for five years in both London and the US. She had a monthly landscaping and tips column for the Sussex County magazine RH Review, and her articles have also appeared in Film Focus, 6 Degrees Film, and BizBash magazine.
*Before you apply any of the advice described on the Hip-home.com website, you should consider if the advice is safe and suitable for your individual home situation and consult experts as necessary to evaluate the suitability for your circumstances.