Everyone's conscious about home security these days. We want the peace of mind that comes with knowing our home is secure and safe from intruders, whether we're at home or away. But before you go ahead and install those locks on your doors, bars on your windows, and other home security measures, here are some basic and important tips to keep in mind:
By Miriam Kasdan
December 31, 1969
- Keep your doors locked all the time, whether you're home or out, and even if you live in the safest of neighborhoods.
- Don't leave an extra set of keys in an obvious location like under the doormat. Install a lock box, if you're afraid you might get locked out.
- Install timers on your lights, to go on and off at particular times. For example, program the living room lights to go off at bedtime.
- When you leave your home, turn on a radio loud enough so it can be heard from outside the front or back door.
- Put a stop to your mail and newspaper, even if you're gone for only a few days.
- Trim the bushes around your yard, so it's not easy for an intruder to hide there undetected.
Once you've attended to all the tasks above, you can go ahead and purchase the home security
products, systems, and services that many reputable companies offer, such as motion detectors, glass break detectors, window sensors, deadbolts, indoor sounders, keypads, chime features, telephone connections, and one-touch buttons for fire, medical, and police emergencies.Source:
About the Author
Miriam Kasdan has been writing and editing marketing and technical materials for almost 20 years and specializes in home improvement features. Miriam earned a B.A. in Sociology from the University of California at Berkeley.
*Before you apply any of the advice described on the Hip-home.com website, you should consider if the advice is safe and suitable for your individual home situation and consult experts as necessary to evaluate the suitability for your circumstances.