Advanced planning makes all the difference when undertaking a kitchen remodeling project. Carefully think through all your kitchen design ideas on paper first and figure out the cost of each compared to your budget before beginning any work.
By Laura Horwitz
December 31, 1969
Common Kitchen Remodeling Pitfalls
- Financial: Comparison shop and do research to find out how much things should cost before hiring a contractor or getting quotes.
- Style: Remember your kitchen is a big part of your home, so a new kitchen design shouldn't clash with the rest of your house.
- Convenience: Keep in mind, when planning your space, what's convenient for cooking, but also consider the traffic flow of other people walking through or gathering in the kitchen.
Kitchen Remodeling Basics
- Floors: Usually around 6% of your budget, and you want to keep in mind that spills and foot traffic can wear certain types of floors down quickly. Before making a choice, consider the aesthetics and whether or not it absorbs or magnifies noise.
- Countertops: Around 14% of your budget, you have limitless options depending on your style and color preferences. Many people enjoy granite for its beauty and the ease of maintenance, although it's expensive.
- Colors: Consider how much time you spend in your kitchen and choose your colors accordingly--a bright, cheerful kitchen can really lighten up a home.
- Sinks: If you choose the common stainless steel, remember the lower the gauge number, the higher the quality and price.
- Appliances: Negotiate with stores before buying. See if they'll give you a discount if you buy multiple items.
Never be afraid to ask questions and bargain to get lower costs. You're the one who has to live with the kitchen remodeling choices you make, so make sure you get what you want.
About the Author
Laura Horwitz has worked as a freelance writer and researcher for five years in both London and the US. She had a monthly landscaping and tips column for the Sussex County magazine RH Review, and her articles have also appeared in Film Focus, 6 Degrees Film, and BizBash magazine.
*Before you apply any of the advice described on the Hip-home.com website, you should consider if the advice is safe and suitable for your individual home situation and consult experts as necessary to evaluate the suitability for your circumstances.