Prepare the Roofing Job Properly
Preparation is more than half the battle. Get some matching shingles from the hardware store and gather your tools and materials. You will need a ladder, a flat nail bar, a hammer, some roofing nails, and a caulking gun with a tube of asphalt cement. Try to accomplish the repair early in the day before the sun heats up the roof.
Wondering what it would cost to replace YOUR roof?
Get a free estimate
from a professional.
Step-by-Step Roofing Instructions
Follow this advice to get your roof repair done properly:
Of course, if the damaged area is too large, or if your roof has a very steep pitch, or if you just aren't comfortable working at heights, you may want to contact a licensed roofing contractor to do the job for you. As always, get references and check with the Better Business Bureau and your local Contractors Board.
- Gently pry up the shingles above the damaged one(s) and bend them back.
- Remove any broken pieces of shingle and any visible nails.
- Insert the new shingle (putting a dab of asphalt cement on the underside) and nail it in place. You may have to trim the top edge to get it to line up properly.
- Re-nail the shingle in the row above, and put a dab of asphalt cement under its lower edge.
- Repeat procedure number 4 until all of the missing or damaged shingles have been replaced with new ones.
Now your roof is once again secure.
About the Author
Roger Diez is a freelance writer and a veteran of countless home repair and improvement projects.